Wednesday 3 March 2010

Phat Phuc Noodle Bar

Had a serious case of lunch fatigue today – I’ve pretty much exhausted all the options around where I work, so I decided to go on a culinary mystery tour instead. This involved jumping on the first bus that pulled up opposite the office on Westminster Bridge Road, which as it turned out was the 211 to Hammersmith.

I grabbed a front window seat on the empty upper deck. It took me through Westminster along past Victoria Station and on to Sloane Square, where I decided to jump out.

I was starting to lose faith in my good-food-sensing powers walking along the Kings Road: Pret, Eat, Starbucks. Same old same old. But then a waft of fragrant spiced broth hit me in the nostrils and I walked down some steps into a shady courtyard right on the corner of the Kings Road and Sydney Street.

I’m sure if you live in Chelsea Phat Phuc is hardly an unheard-of discovery for you. But it’s exactly the kind of place I dream about stumbling across by accident: a shack with a counter serving cheap Vietnamese food, and a number of wooden tables covered in red parasols.

I ordered the Bo Pho: beef broth with stewed flank, rice noodles and herbs for £5.50, and it was delivered to my table about 90 seconds later. Just what I needed on a blustery and cool March day. The broth was more golden than other phos I’ve eaten, and fair bit sweeter – maybe a touch too sweet for my taste. But that’s my only minor quibble as it was a cracking bowl of hot soup with plenty of herbs and pleasantly chewy brisket.



I was also impressed with the condiments on the tables: sugar, powdered chilli, chilli oil and a dish of crispy shallots that you help yourself to. It went down so quick the bowl was still steaming when I’d finished.



Next time I jump on the 211 bus I’ll definitely make a return visit. Oh and by the way, Phat Phuc is not what you shout at someone that’s eaten too many noodles. Apparently it means “Happy Buddha”.

www.phatphucnoodlebar.com

No comments:

Post a Comment